Wednesday, December 3, 2008

And now I'm depressed...

So what was the common theme of all those posts? Layoffs, buying freezes, and restructurings. These particular posts are all from galleycat but there's plenty more wherever you look. As a newbie to all this stuff, I barely recognize these houses from the spines of my personal book collection--much less understand bids and titles or recognize individual's names or understand how we got in this mess in the first place or how any of this is going to help. I think confusion is the tradeoff for the protection of an outsider, however. When I go to my local bookstore tomorrow for an author reading and to pick up a copy of Team of Rivals for my boyfriend, there will still be books on the shelves and readers in the chairs listening to the famous author. My boss's book is still in the queue for full printing in March, and my Traditions of China paper will still be due by 11am. There are a lot of people out there whose lives just got even more uncertain, and for all our sakes, we need that change more than ever.
So I'll keep writing and reading and buying books in the hopes that my small actions on the outside can reverse the dopplar effect and make its way to the heart of things.

No comments: