Tuesday, December 30, 2008

New Year's Resolutions

The always-edifying JA Konrath listed his growing list of resolutions, prompting me to edit it for my personal list. I'm more of a short-term-goal person, meaning I generally make a huge list of things to accomplish in too little time, get as many of them done as I can, and sweep the others under the rug for the next list...and the next...That's probably why I like his 2006 list best. They're specific and are more about developing good habits than one-time goals (notice words like "every" "always" "refuse"). The others are more like the inspirational bits at the end of chain emails. Pertinent, and helpful on occasion, but without any tangible direction.

My 2009 resolutions for:

Writing:

  • I will set aside time to write on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

  • I will write more in longhand to get the benefits of the creative process unique to a hand moving across paper.

  • I will do more timed writing exercises for the same reason.

  • I will always have one story in submission, and one in revision.

  • I will finish all the stories that are unfinished, or in the middle of drafts.

  • I will back up all of my work with the dependability of Rain Man.

Reading

  • I will subscribe to some of the magazines I submit to.

  • I will read the magazines I submit to.

  • I will continue to mix my reading list with contemporary works, banned novels and recommended short stories.

  • I will seek out work that is not in my usual reading list, including nonfiction, experimental and - possibly - poetry.

Professional

  • I will attend AWP (blizzard or not) and introduce myself to agents, editors and other writers.

  • I will expand my presence on the net, including learning html
  • I will learn more about/practice writing book reviews

It's up to you invisible people to keep me honest on this, you hear?

No comments: