Tuesday, January 6, 2009

New Year's Resolutions--An Introduction

If you can't tell by the sudden influx of advertising for exercise machines and diet plans, probably the most common New Year's resolution is to lose weight. While I didn't put it on my list of writing resolutions, it's on my personal list.
I've got a little more incentive than most people. I've got an ultimate frisbee team expecting me to haul my ass up and down a football field but I did more working--and eating--over the break than I did working out. Also, I'd like to look a little more trim at AWP next month.
So over the past week of last-minute sprints and lifting, I've been thinking about the correlations between getting my body in better shape--and getting my writing in better shape.
We don't have practice this week and I don't have to turn in any work for nonfiction workshop until a week from today, so I'll take this time to document my training--not in minutes on the treadmill or in the lap pool--but in these traditional techniques work for my writing.
First up: Trimming

No comments: